Wednesday, June 09, 2010

An Intimate Birthday Dinner at Home

When Dylan asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday I had one wish, an intimate dinner party with him and my closest friends. In the past we've held our birthday dinners at a restaurant, but now with our new home with a backyard and McCall's Meat and Fish, we were able to get more creative and intimate. With our trustee dining table, our closest friends, ample wine and beer, some tasteful music – our dinner under the stars in Silver Lake took place. It's amazing what a simple white table cloth and hanging market lights can do for ambiance.

Birthday Dinner Party

Birthday Dinner Party
Rosé, peonies and friends.

While we sat outside and enjoyed the evening, Dylan was busy in the kitchen and my brother Jeremy (who just recently flew back from RISD) was busy playing maître d. Both boys worked so hard to make this evening special.

A couple days before the dinner, Dylan asked me to jot down my favorite things to eat and within minutes he came up with a fabulous five-course menu. Here we go...

Razor Clams a la Plancha

Razor Clams a la Plancha Razor clams, piquillo peppers, garlic

Maryland Crab Cakes

Maryland Crabcakes Blue crab, rémoulade, watercress

Shrimp n' Grits

Shrimp n' Grits Shrimp, Nueske bacon, grits

Happy Short Ribs

Happy Short Ribs Grassfed beef short ribs, pomme purée, carrots

Birthday Dinner Party

XT Patisserie Macarons caramel, chocolate, coconut, coffee, earl grey, hazelnut, lemon, orange blossom, passion fruit, pistachio, raspberry, vanilla

*I took a bite out of one of them while walking these guys out to the backyard. Sorry friends.

Jeni's Spendid Ice Cream

Jeni's Spendid Ice Cream Strawberry Buttermilk, Gravel Road, Bourbon Butter Pecan, Pistachio and Honey

Birthday Dinner Party

Birthday Dinner Party

I love my friends!

Birthday Dinner Party

Dylan is such a thoughtful and giving person and he really knows how to make me feel so special. He is also notorious for destroying things. Below is Dylan spilling wine over my brand new linen tablecloth. I still love him. I love him for his best and his worst.

Birthday Dinner Party

After dinner, desserts and drinking, Dylan brought out our strobes along with our Rody's. Time for a photoshoot!

Birthday Dinner Party

Fun on the Rody's

Fun on the Rody's
My Fuji Cheki 50 came out to play too.

Birthday Dinner Party

Birthday Dinner Party

Thankful for each year I get to spend with the most loving people. Hoping for many more.

Thanks for reading!

18 comments:

One Food Guy said...

Happy Birthday! That is one meal that could not be replicated in a restaurant (unless Dylan was in the kitchen of course.) The meal looked amazing, your backyard looks amazing, the happy times with friends looked like, well, happy times! Can't wait until the next time we get to eat together.

weezermonkey said...

So awesome!!!

Happy birthday!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen said...

What a lovely evening!! It's been far too long since I've been at a gathering with all my friends (Christmas?). Having kids will do that ;) You've inspired me to get my crew together, and SOON!

Happy Birthday!! Love the tablescape!

Oishii Eats said...

One Food Guy...I totally agree. A dinner made by Dylan under the LA stars (and pollution) is priceless. You are always invited. Just book a ticket to LA.

Weezermonkey...thank you! It was awesome.

Denise...having friends over is the best. Nothing really compares. Hope you and your friends get together this summer!

keiko said...

Jeni, this is so sweet and lovely, put a big smile on my face :) Happy birthday, kudos to amazing Dylan too! xx

Daily Gluttony said...

Love it!!!

Happy birthday girl! Hope your day is filled w/ happiness and lotsa Souplantation & 90's summer jams!

elmomonster said...

Dylan, you make all guys look bad. Happy b-day Jeni!

justJENN said...

Looks fantastic - happy birthday!

t r a n g said...

what an enchanting birthday dinner party!

Big Boys Oven said...

this is so awesome! I just fall you blog by just a first glance . . . . lovely!:)

That's Ron said...

Happy birthday Jenni!.. our birthdays are so close...

Tell Dylan he is spoiling the market... I hope my girlfriends doesn't see this post ;)

Exile Kiss said...

Hi Oishii Eats,

Happy Belated Birthday! (^_^)/

That's *so* awesome. I think what you and E D B M created in your home is better than going out to eat. Classy, beautiful and delicious looking food! :)

Great pics as usual. :)

Anita said...

Happy Birthday! I love your blog. I am a foodie at heart and "tries" to cook. I have a question how do you keep your food warm when you have several dishes going on the oven? By the time I cook the grits and short ribs, something inevitably gets cold. Do you microwave it or do you have those warming lights?

Cherie said...

jeni,
can you please tell me where to buy those razor clams (jackknife clams)? i've been looking for those in LA. i had them when i was in HK and i've been craving for them ever since.

thanks!
-cherie (cherie.c.tsang@gmail.com)

Oishii Eats said...

Keiko...aww. Hearing from you always makes me smile!

Daily Gluttony...thanks for the birthday love. I'm thankful for every year!

Elmo...thank you!!!!

JustJenn...next year I want a Hello Kitty/pirate birthday party! Ordering a cake from you! haha.

Trang...great friends and food is always enchanting. Thanks!

Big Boys Oven...thanks!

That's Ron...when's your birthday? June babies are the coolest!

Anita...I don't know how my husband does it. He organizes the entire menu in his head, preps, cooks what he can ahead and then serves everything course by course. Most of the time while we're eating, he's in the kitchen, getting the next dish ready. I really don't know how he does it.

Cherie...call McCall's Meat and Fish in Los Feliz. Nathan usually special orders them for us. They are amazing!

Christine D. said...

Happy belated Birthday, Jeni!

I love coming back to your blog and seeing Dylan still wooing, wining, and dining you. So roooomantic!

When I got to the picture of the Jeni's ice creams, I had to pause and remember which blog I was reading. So cool to see a local, Columbus ice cream in LA! (I also went there on Saturday for some Sweet Corn and Blackberry ice cream. NOM!)

Oishii Eats said...

Christine D..HOW ARE YOU DOING? It's been so long. Yes, Dylan is still wining and dining me. I hope it never ends. We love Jeni's ice cream and we're able to get it at a local pasta shop. It's so delicious! It's so good to hear from you!

Allison - Timers said...

Looks wonderful. Great reading your post as well.

Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin