Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ono Seafood

When my husband dragged me out of bed our first morning in Honolulu I thought he had some sort of great breakfast idea up his sleeves. Yea right. My husband wanted poke. It was 9am guys!

We headed over to Ono Seafood, a random little shop adjacent to an apartment building on Kapahulu. We actually missed it twice, so keep your eyes open. I never knew this little place even existed all this time.

Ono Seafood

Dylan and I were drooling like kids over the goods in this refrigerator. Local dried tako, opae (dried shrimp), smoked tako, and boiled peanuts!!!

Ono Seafood

You won't find premade tubs of poke in their display. All poke requests are made fresh when you order. Poke can be made with your choice of white onion, green onion, ogo (seaweed), chili pepper, Hawaiian salt, kukui, shoyu (soy sauce) and sesame oil.

Ono Seafood

Since it was still morning, Dylan opted for a poke bowl ($5.50) instead of a tub of poke. You know, because poke with rice is a healthier breakfast option than just poke alone.

Look at that poke glisten with sesame and kukui nut oil. The ladies at Ono Seafood do an amazing job at adding the right amount of ingredients without compromising the fresh flavor and bite from the ahi tuna.

Ono Seafood

I grabbed a bag of smoked tako ($5) for some chewy, smoky and sweet bites of tako heaven.

Go to Ono Seafood! Poke for breakfast is fine with me.

Ono Seafood
747 Kapahulu Ave Apt 4
Honolulu HI 96816
(808) 732-4806

10 comments:

Tricerapops said...

fuck it, i'm going to hawaii. NOW.

Reid said...

Jeni,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I haven't been there in a while...so I think it's time to go back!

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE SO FUNNY = BOYS = BEER = SLEEP = AND EAT ... CHARACTER IS MAKING AN UNIT PERSONALITY AND YOU ARE THE ONE... THANKS FOR SHARING W/US ... LIFE IS ALL ABOUT LOVING AND SHARING...THANKS HONEY ... LOVE YOU FOREVER AND EVER EVER EVER...

justJENN said...

Wow. I never knew about this place. I'll have to stop by!

Bianca said...

this looks delicious! I wish they had a place like this in LA!

weezermonkey said...

Best breakfast ever.

Andy said...

Completely off topic but I'm pretty sure I saw you @ LAMill on Wednesday afternoon. My wife and I were sitting @ a table near you (if that was you!)

kyle said...

Jeni,
It's a good thing to go early over there, sometimes they run out quick. Especially during football season! Have you tried Fresh Catch on Waialae Ave? They are kinda like Yamas.
As for Dylan, a beer would've made it a complete breakfast of champions!!

Food, she thought. said...

Thank for all the Honolulu posts. I love Honolulu and fortunately my family lives there so I get to go often...2 trips are in the planning right now. I am going to Ono Seafood for some poke the second we get off the plane.

Exile Kiss said...

Hi Oishii Eats,

Wow, beautiful pics (as usual). :) I've never seen a Poke Bowl with meaty, delicious looking pieces of fish like that (it's usually overly minced here in LA).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin