Friday, August 21, 2009

Praca da Paz Farmers Market

Praca da Paz Farmers Market

Dylan and I chose to stroll around Ipanema on our last day in Rio. We were super lucky to run into the Friday morning farmers market at Praca da Paz, a park just a block away from our honeymoon hostel-suite at the Ipanema Beach House.

Praca da Paz Farmers Market

Praca da Paz Farmers Market

I love how they line up their watermelons. Reminds me of a family portrait when our parents used to line up all the cousins by height.

Praca da Paz Farmers Market

Praca da Paz Farmers Market

Our favorite part of the market was smelling all the great spices available.

Praca da Paz Farmers Market

Praca da Paz Farmers Market

Husband wants a haircut

While strolling around, Dylan kept complaining about his hair.

"It's too long. It's too hot. I need a haircut."

Most people would be scared of getting their haircut from a complete stranger in a foreign country, but we've somehow made it a part of our traveling tradition.

Husband wants a haircut

Farmers markets and hair-cuts. Our favorite ways to get to know locals. This family at the salon was so super sweet to us. While I was waiting for Dylan's haircut, his wife ended up showing me all the family pictures in her wallet. So super precious!

Bus Ride to Paraty, Brasil

Now off on a bus ride 250km south to a small colonial Portuguese town called Paraty.

5 comments:

Delicious Coma said...

Amaaazing. I love the watermelon photo. And I can almost smell the spices!

weezermonkey said...

My fave is the "Uh oh, am I really about to get my hair cut here?" photo.

denise said...

This brings back such great memories! We rented a small apartment for a week right across the park and did some shopping at that farmer's market. Did you try the crazy ice cream flavors at Mil Frutas? My fave was Cartola, named after the samba composer, which was vanilla ice cream mixed with banana, cinnamon and caramel.

EatTravelEat said...

Wow, what a fun farmers market! I don't see spices too often at my farmers market. The displays are fabulous, especially that line of watermelons! Did the seller sell them as is or were they just for display?

Skeptickle said...

I agree that farmers markets are the key to meeting locals. My friends went to Rio a few months ago and they told me the what stood out to them the most was the stark contrast between the rich and poor parts of the area. Despite that, I would love to visit there someday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin