Monday, June 08, 2009

A Day in Los Olivos




After a long night at one of the most fabulous weddings ever, Dylan and I were ready for a day trip to Los Olivos, our favorite Los Angeles getaway. But this time, instead of driving up and around Santa Ynez Hills, we decided to bring our bicycles in tow. Work out and wine tasting. Sign me up.

Los Olivos

Los Olivos

Los Olivos

Los Olivos

We started our day off at Los Olivos Grocery for some tri-tip sandwiches and deli goodies. I have an affinity for wine country grocery stores. They are always so cool, stocked with the tastiest cheeses, cured meats and sodas. Another reason I love wine country grocery stores is that you can usually get a pretty good meal without the wine country price tag. Never go wine tasting on an empty stomach. I learned the hard way.

Los Olivos

First stop, Tensley Tasting Room. Tensley's famed for their full-bodied Syrah's, but on this hot afternoon Dylan and I fell in love with their Grenache Blanc and Lea Rosé.

Don't be fooled by Tensley's tasting room. It might not be the most aesthetically pleasing compared to a lot of other wineries and tasting rooms in town, but do not underestimate their wines. We loved everything we tasted at Tensley. They make amazing wines!

Los Olivos

Los Olivos

We ran into this poor fellow on the Santa Ynez Trail. Look at him...he's so peaceful. Still dreaming of acorns and Syrahs.

Los Olivos

Los Olivos

Oops. I dropped my bike.

Los Olivos

Our ride into the Beckman Vineyard Estate was simply amazing. Long drive way, rolling vineyards, and NO CARS. Ahh...I really don't know if we can ever find such bicycling euphoria.

Los Olivos

Los Olivos

We were lucky to make it for their Library Sundays, a special tasting with a hand-selected assortment of vintage wines. Some were very delicious, other's were tasting very much like licking your grandfather's shoe. It was like a hit or miss with the Libary Tasting...for me. I haven't acquired the taste for old saddle and tobacco in wines...at least not yet. That's ok, because we also enjoyed tasting their usual Rhone varietals. Their 2006 Purisima Mountain Vineyard Grenache Blanc was a winner for us. Go Grenache Blanc. That's 2 for 2. Move over Sauvignon Blanc.

Los Olivos

I don't know what it is about riding a scooter or bike with Dylan. Everytime we do, I fall in love with that guy again. I can't really expain it. Maybe it's the fresh air or being able to enjoy the scenery. Whatever it is, I sure do like it.

Los Olivos

Los Olivos

Los Olivos

Los Olivos

Los Olivos

Los Olivos

Visiting the Clairmont Lavender Farms was probably my favorite part of our day. Who doesn't love the calming properties of lavender? Probably people with allergies. Dylan had a major allergy attack...so beware allergy kids.

Need omiyage (travel gifts) for friends and family? Clairmont Farms sells their lavender blossoms in sachets ($2-5). Ohmygosh, I can sit on my butt all day and sniff my lavender sachets.

Los Olivos

We barely missed Andrew Murray's Tasting Room. 5pm - Closed! Luckily we rode to the end of Grand Avenue and Saarloos & Sons, the newest kid on the block was still open!

Los Olivos


Los Olivos

It was the coming to the end of a very long and sweaty day. We ended up sharing this last tasting at Saarloos & Sons. At Saarloos and Sons, wine is family. Literally. I love the family photos they used to label their wines as each photos tells a distinct story of their history with the land and their wines. Crafted in small batches, once these wines are sold out, they are gone for good. Cherish them now before they go.

Thanks for reading!

Los Olivos Grocery
2621 W Highway 154
Santa Ynez, CA 93460
(805) 688-5115
www.losolivosgrocery.com

Tensley Tasting Room
2900 Grand Ave
Los Olivos, CA 93441
(805)688-6761
www.tensleywines.com

Beckman Vineyards
2670 Ontiveros Rd
Los Olivos, CA 93441
(805) 688-8664
www.beckmenvineyards.com

Clairmont Farms
2480 Roblar Avenue
Los Olivos, CA 93441
(805)688-7505
www.clairmontfarms.com

Saarloos & Sons
2971 Grand Ave
Los Olivos, CA 93441
(805) 688-1200
www.saarloosandsons.com

Enjoy Cupcakes
2971 Grand Ave
Los Olivos, CA 93441
www.enjoycupcakes.com

9 comments:

chris said...

Nice pictures! I have lived in the SYV for 36 yrs- and it is so fun to read others takes on what the love about this plcae!!

As far as eye candy tasting rooms- buyer beware- the more they spend making it look good, the less time they spend making good wine.

Joey Tensley makes fantastic wines- his wife Jennifer made the Lea rose...usually it is a joke when a spouse gets in the act- but isn't Lea tasty?

Lavender tip- I love to buy the scoops of lavender as gifts- I tell folks they can sprinkle it on their carpet like carpet freshener- then vaccum it up- the whole house will smell fantastic! It is so easy to grow your own lavender.

Los Olivos Grocery- I know summer is here when I can smell the bbq fire-ing up. The smoke and smells blow this way everyday during summer.

I once took out 3 squirels in one quick minute- they all ran out at once. And I was on my cell phone- the message I was leaving got a blow by blow report of the carnage. I felt terrible all day.

Don't miss the olive oil stand on your next visit- Rancho Olivos!

weezermonkey said...

Lovely! And I am thoroughly amused by the different processing by each of you guys. ;)

ila said...

kireiiiiii!!!!
Don and I are planning a mini trip for this year's anniversary, and this seems so chillaxingly perfect.

Sandra said...

No you didn't post that poor squirrel! Laughing hard.

Jen said...

oh nooo...exactly what do you mean by "ran into" the squirrel??

tercero wines said...

Great post! I love the nice balance between pictures and words - very nicely done!

You hit a few of my personal favorites up here - Beckmen certainly makes some killer reds and Joey is renowned for his reds as well - but his Camp 4 Blanc is tasty ta boot!

Next time you come up, drop me a line - I am asst. Winemaker at Fess Parker / Epiphany Cellars and would love to show you around and do some barrel tasting with the two of you!

Last but not least, will you be attending this weekend's Wine Hound SB Futures event at the Natural History Museum? If so, look me up - I'll be pouring tercero, my own brand (and I also make a Grenache Blanc!!!).

Cheers!

alliemaddyn said...

Looks like a beautiful trip!

If you have never cooked with lavendar before, TRY IT! It works for both savory and sweet foods. I use lavender, thyme and lemon juice to season chickens or cornish hens for roasting. I've infused maple syrup with lavender (strain the buds after heating!) for waffles - DIVINE. Lavender panna cotta.

jee said...

You're too cute!

Hey, I like your bike. What kind is that? I'm considering getting a bike...

Rumela said...

Wow!! what a great picture. but i cunt understand that what happen the squirrel?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin