Monday, April 13, 2009

Gruyère Thyme Gougères - Recipe by Tartine Bakery SF


Gruyère Thyme Gougères

I fell in love with these crusty and eggy bites of delicious cheesiness on my last trip to San Francisco at Tartine Bakery. Ever since then I've always wanted serve these little bites before a nice lunch. Lucky for me, Easter came around, Dylan concepted a meal, and I snuck these little guys onto the menu for the day.

Gruyère Thyme Gougères

If you've ever made choux pastry for cream puffs, this recipe is pretty much the same. You just have to remember to add the savory additions at the end. If you've never made choux pastry before don't be intimidated by the technique. It's incredibly easy, if not fun. The joy of seeing goo become a perfect ball of buttery wonder is quite amazing!

Gruyère Thyme Gougères

Choux Pastry
1 1/4 c nonfat milk or water
10 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1 cup flour
5 large eggs
3/4 Gruyère cheese, grated
1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 tbsp fresh thyme, minced

Topping
1 large egg
pinch salt
grated Gruyère for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a baking sheet or silpat.

Choux Pastry
Combine, milk or water with butter and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Wait for the butter to melt. Turn off heat. Add flour all at once. Stir, stir, stir. Lumpy mush will become a nice smooth ball after a minute or so of stirring.

Transfer dough to a stand mixer. Add paddle attachment. Add egg one by one at medium speed. Make sure to incorporate egg before adding the next. After all the eggs have been added, mixture should be thick, smooth, and shiny.

Add Gruyère, pepper and thyme by hand using a rubber spatula.

Transfer all contents to a pastry bag with 1/2 inch plain tip (no.6 or 7). Pipe one inch mounds onto the baking sheet. Leave 1 inch between each puff.

To make topping, whisk 1 egg with pinch of salt and brush over each pastry. Lightly sprinkle each pastry with a little cheese.

Place pastries in the oven immediately and back until are are puffed and browned...around 25 minutes. Serve hot or warm. Or let cool completely and place in an airtight container. Recrisp the puffs at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.

Gruyère Thyme Gougères

Enjoy!

Tartine Bakery
600 Guerrero St
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 487-2600
www.tartinebakery.com

6 comments:

Susan C said...

Oh, you've made my day. I love these little Tartine treasures and don't have a trip to SF planned any time in the near future.

Suzanne Tadros said...

ohhh la la... gotta try that!

Paige at The Spice House said...

Mmm, I LOVE gougeres. I'm not allowed to make them unless several people are present to stop me eating the whole batch hot from the oven (usually by fighting me for them). I haven't had the ones from Tartine, but if they're like the ones in your picture they must be wonderful!

Oishii Eats said...

Susan C...I still don't know why LA doesn't have a Tartine-esque bakery. My life would be complete!

Susan Tadros...I love savory baked goods. Have fun at Coachella. See you in the dark room. I can't believe our final is next week! I still have to do my self-portrait shoot. a aaaah!

Paige at The Spice House, omg...they are so easy to munch on alone. The ones from Tartine are great, but I think this recipe is more flavorful.

Mars said...

Does the recipe call for one cup gruyere? it doesn't list the measurement.

(L.) said...

I also had them! so delicious!
http://deendeveras.blogspot.com/2011/07/tartines-gougeres.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin