Wednesday, June 18, 2008

All's Fair in Love and Tacos

He told me we were going to a "show" for my birthday. Little did I know that this "show" was a show that I would never forget.

I came home after a long day of striking, report cards and teaching and found Dylan running between our apartments doing "something." I had no idea what he was doing but I was really too tired to ask. All I wanted to do was sleep. And that I did.

After napping for a couple of hours Dylan woke me up and told me he had a big birthday surprise waiting for me in my closet. But when I went searching for his surprise, all I saw was a backpack. Then looking at his watch he said, "Surprise! You have 2 hours to pack your things. We are leaving in 2 hours."

And like a crazy mad woman I had no idea what he was talking about but all I remember was running around my apartment pulling out clothes figuring out what the heck I was going to where.

"Is it going to be cold? Is it going to be hot? Do I need a dress?"

He just shrugged and said, "You're just wasting more time asking questions. All I can tell you is that we're going away for the weekend."

Two hours later, after packing and finally calming down, we walked down to my car and just then my brother jumped out from behind. "AAAACK!" My brother Jeremy was in on the surprise and was there to take us to LAX!!!

We finally arrive to Terminal 6 at LAX and I still had no idea where we were going. Then he pointed to his Carne Asada t-shirt and handed me my passport.

"Are we going to Mexico City???"

Dylan just smiled.

"What??? You lied to me! You said we were going to a show!"

530am

We arrived to D.F. (Mexico City) on Saturday at 5:30 a.m. Completely exhausted and half asleep, I still couldn't believe that I was in Mexico City.

mercardo art
After a couple hours of rest at Casa Comtesse in Condesa, we were back on the streets ready to enjoy our weekend.

contramar
Surprise #2, lunch at Contramar. The last time we were in D.F., Contramar was closed during the New Year’s holiday, so Dylan made sure that we weren’t going to miss out on one of the best seafood restaurants in town. It is definitely the place to lunch in Mexico City. Fabulous seafood from this restaurant brings an ecletic mix of fashionistas, businessmen, families and artists to this unpretenious, old-school'esque establishment.

contramar

pescado al pastor tacos
Pescado al Pastor tacos

ceviche de pescado
Ceviche de Contramar

caldo de camaron
Caldo de camaron

tostadas de atun
Tostadas de atún are a must when dining at Contramar. Ahi tuna marinated in light soy and orange juice, deep fried young onions, spicy aioli centered on the most perfect tostada. Dylan and I are still craving these babies.

neveria roxy
After lunch, we headed back to Condesa to our favorite neveria, Neveria Roxy.

taco truck
While scarfing down nieves (sorbet) and ice cream, we spotted this taco truck across the street.

taco truck hand
Tacos de milanesa

carnitas
Some of the best carnitas I've ever had.

pujol
Dylan surprised me later on at night with a dinner at Pujol. OMG. I was so amazed at Pujol’s haute Mexican cuisine. We both ended up having their 8 course tasting menu which lasted 3 whole hours!

pujol collage
(clockwise)
Ravioles de aguacate, camarón rasurado, mayonesa picante
Ensalada de nopal curado en sal, guarnición tradicional, nieve de orégano
Chapulines al sartén, aire de tortilla-mantequilla negra, epazote, guacamole, rananito
Capuchino de flor de calabaza, leche de coco y nuez moscado
Trucha, mezcia de hongos, elotes, humo de chile pasilla, jugo de cebolla asada
Lengua de res, salsa de aceituna verde, aros de cebolla capeada, jitomate cherry
Plato de queso artesanales de Ensenada, Atotonilco y Atlixco
Pie cremoso de limón verde, merengue, helado de yogurt

jeni at pujol

It was such an overwhelming day of surprises (lies). I still couldn’t believe that I was in D.F. celebrating my birthday. He totally tricked me!

By the time we got home, all I wanted to do was sleep. But before walking in the door, Dylan stopped me and said, “I have one more surprise.”

WHAT??? No more surprises Dylan!”

Dylan took his sweater off and did the best he could to cover my eyes (without suffocating me). Then he slowly walked me into the room and uncovered the blindfold…

And the first thing I thought was, “Oh my God our room is on fire!”

There were candles and red and white petals everywhere. Just then, within milliseconds, I completely fell into tears. And as I was trying to wipe my face, Dylan was already on one knee…

And he asked me to marry him!


jeni & dylan
Oh...

my...

GOD!!!

ring
We're GETTING MARRIED!!!

phone card
After recovering from crying and laughing and drinking champagne, we ran downstairs to 7-11 to get a calling card to call our parents and siblings.

df amigos
Although we wished we were surrounded with our family and friends, the D.F. locals at the 7-11 heard the good news and ended up celebrating with us. For that moment they felt just like family because this was one of the most exciting days of our lives.

celebrating our engagement
At the end of the night Dylan apologized for all the "lies" to get me to Mexico City for our engagement. For now, I'll forgive him.

All's fair in love and tacos right???

On behalf of my fiancé and I, we'd like to say thank you for joining us on our journey for food and love and everything in between.

*If tears aren't falling now, read his story here. Major tear jerker.

The History of Oishii Eats & Eat Drink & Be Merry
My crush begins at Musha in Torrance
Soundlessons and Tacos Arizas for our first date
We come out after 6-months of dating at AOC
Toasting to our first year
Riding on the back of a scooter with the love of my life in Yangshuo, China

Casa Comtesse
103 Tamaulipas #8
Condesa DF
www.casacomtesse.com
*update: Casa Comtesse has moved to 197 Benjamin Franklin

Contramar
200 Durango
Roma DF
www.contramar.com.mx


Neveria Roxy
161 Tamaulipas
Condesa DF

Red Taco Truck
SE corner of Av Tamaulipas and Campeche
Across the street from Neveria Roxy

Pujol
Francisco Petrarca 254
Polanco DF
www.pujol.com.mx


50 comments:

thexgirlfriend said...

great story. LOVE it! Congrats to you and D.

Jonah said...

Wow, what an event! Congratulations to the two of you. I could see the spark between you from the first bite!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Congratulations! I thought that's where this post was going to end. :)

justJENN said...

That is fantastic. Congrats!

Jennifer said...

yay!
i don't know you, and only recently started reading your blog...

but that is amazing! i was crying by the end of your post!

i love good engagement stories and i love good tacos!

congrats!

BoLA said...

Much love to you and D! I'm so happy for the two of you!!! Love is in the air, and I'm suddenly craving carnitas. ;)

Love you!!!

boody said...

This post makes my heart smile AND melt. haha. You guys are too cute!!! Congrats again, Jeni!!!!! =) You have someone to eat tacos with for the rest of your life =)

Eileen said...

Lovely lovely story! You guys are so perfect together. You will definately remember this birthday for a lifetime. (I should show my bf this post and make him learn something from it haha....)

Congratulation! ^^

Anonymous said...

LET MAKE IT LAST A LIFE TIME AND NEVER REGRET ... ONCE THE BEATLES SANG SOMETHING LIKE THIS love is all u need... LOVE BOTH OF YOU, FOR REAL...

Reid said...

I just hopped over from Dylan's site and I just wanted to say CONGRATS again!

What a touching story...enjoy the rest of your lives together.

KirkK said...

Love and Tacos!!!

I'm so very happy for the both of you!

Renée said...

I came over from Dylan's blog the same as reid (but of course I'd want the real version of the story (JK)... actually almost immediately after I read the title of Dylan's post (female intuition??).

CONGRATS!!!

Now, was the rest of the the trip a blur? :)

adi benner said...

Congrats guys! I read your blogs daily. I love them. Your wedding is sure to be magnificent.

When you are ready to hire a wedding photographer let me know. Food almost always sucks at weddings, but Im sure that won't be the case at yours. :)

Adi
nextexitphotography.com

The Guilty Carnivore said...

Here's to many more years, and many more tacos. Congrats to both of you.

One Food Guy said...

Congratulations!!!

ishikawa said...

i'm so happy for you J. Congrats to the both of you. love you. can't wait to celebrate the big day with you.

H. C. said...

Congrats! Like WC, I knew where this post was going but it was such a sweet read nonetheless.

I hope you have more than two hours to prep for your wedding ;)

Matthew K. said...

already commented on the other blog, but wow, great great story. congratulations! go food bloggers!

grubtrotters said...

Best wishes! My husband and I also fell in love by sharing our love of food. We got married in September and then started a foodblog together, Grubtrotters.com. Food love is a powerful thing. I'm so excited for you! Congrats!

Sandy said...

Hey, did you know that your story matches Dylan's version?! That was such a fabulous, romantic surprise - you are so blessed.

I'm sure you won't have any trouble with a gift for the groom - Maggi!

Congratulations!

Susan Carrier said...

I love your love story.

I love your ring.

And I love the look of those yummy carnitas tacos.

Thanks for sharing all three (and more).

elmomonster said...

WOW! I mean WOW! I read Dylan's blog post first, (just because my mouse was closer to his on the Google reader) but yours actually has pictures.

But I'll repeat what I said there here:

I had a lump in my throat reading this, knowing that there had to be something special at the end...and BAM! There it is...sweeter than a Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks rom-com, more delicious than food itself!

So lucky to have met you guys in person for that Quan Hy get-together! Now when this story is made into a movie, I can say "I KNOW THEM! I KNOW THEM!"

It goes without saying: CONGRATS! May you have lots of well-fed children!

Claire Bidwell Smith said...

Oh, your story is soo good! Each of your versions totally teared me up!

My fiance and I met as online bloggers last year when he was living in Chicago and I was in LA. I moved last summer to be in Chicago with him and he proposed to me just a couple of months ago (http://lifeinla.typepad.com/chicago/2008/04/april-29-2008.html) It's the best feeling in the world isn't it??

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you guys!

yaiAnn said...

OMG! Congratulations! I just discovered your blog from a friend and I can't believe she didn't point me your way before! As someone who just also got recently engaged, this almost made me cry!

Nell said...

Congrats!!! What a great engagement story!

Bill said...

Suspensefully congrats!

L'aura said...

The best engagement story ever-romance, suspense, a trip to Mexico, and of course GREAT FOOD. Thanks for sharing. Good luck to you both!

Chubbalubbs said...

I love this engagement story! Congratulations, Jeni!

Naomi said...

I'm just a lurker - I followed a link from Orangette ages ago, I think, and while I read Oishii Eats regularly I've never commented. But I had to drop a note to say congrats and best wishes! I'm so happy for both of you. That sounds like a dream of a perfect day.

Steph said...

Congratulations!! Sounds like an amazing time. Your ring is beautiful and so was all that food! Now all I can think about is going to Mexico City ;)

David and Lesley said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

Dona Junta said...

Congrats!!

alessandrastarr said...

Congrats!

Rudy Begonia said...

Congrats, you so happy. All the best wishes.

JadedOne said...

Congrats OE :D That is such a sweet story. Like I posted on EDnBM's comments, I can't wait to see you as a bride stuffing your face with what will most likely be really good food at the reception hehe :) YAY!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Such a beautiful love story! Amazingly sweet... Jeni, I Love your blog. You are such a wonderful photographer!

Nguyen

Du said...

Congratulations!!! I've been reading from before the time you guys started getting together to dine, and I look forward to reading more of your adventures :) Again, best wishes to the both of you!

MaxMillion said...

You two really are the sweetest couple. I hope you have as wonderful and longterm marriage as I have enjoyed with my sweetheart.

When you realise you wanna grow old with that special someone, it's the best feeling in the world.

xox Max

KAY said...

Congrat!
Such a sweet moment!

Lesley said...

I never did say congrats to the both of you. I'm such a softie. Read his version first, teared up. Read yours, teared up again, even though I already knew the outcome. Great story. Amazing travels. Who doesn't love destiny especially when it involves food? Best to you both --- Lesley

Jeni said...

Hello everyone!!! Ohmygosh...you're all here! I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your love, support and emails!!! Wow! To be able to share our story of food and love is truly an honor. Thank you for joining us! -Jeni


Thank you so much thexgirlfriend!!! (Love your blog and your lack of spending control at Targét.)

Papa Jonah...could you really??? I was so nervous that night we all met. Well, once we're married we'll get your baby boy a food friend.

Thanks Wandering Chopsticks!!!

Just Jenn...thank you so much for reading! (Just read your blog...I love those Vans for the romping baby dinosaur. Too cute.)

Jennifer...thank you so much for celebrating with us!

Thank you Best of LA. We're both still very giddy!

Boody...Ordering tacos with a walker, sporting blue blockers with my man by my side. Now that's romantic.

Thank you so much Eileen. This was definitely our moment and we're so thankful we can share it with our food family.

ANONYMOM...AAAAH...your baby's getting married!!!

Thank you so much Reid!!!

Kirkk...first comes love, then comes tacos. Sigh.

Hey Renée...omg...that was such an emotional trip. No one told me that getting engaged would be so emotionally draining. No, the rest of the trip was not a blur. We spent the next few days eating tacos and falling in love over and over again.

Thanks Adi. We'll check you out once we start planning.

Guilty Carnivore!!! Thank you thank you!!!

Thanks One Food Guy!!!

Ishikawa...thank you for not introducing us in college. It would have never worked out. haha.

HC...OMG...I would totally fall apart if he gave me 2 hours to get ready for my wedding. I'd be one HOT EMOTIONAL MESS!!!

Mattatouille! Thanks so much for reading.

Grubtrotters...isn't food love so passionate! Congratulations on your marriage. Your one year is just around the corner!

I am so blessed Sandy. Thank you so much for reading.

Susan...thank you so much. It means so much to us to be able to share how we met and fell in love. Yaaay to semi-foodblog stalking! jk. haha.

Uncle Elmo!!! Thank you so much. We vow to make well-fed, Maggi bred babies.

OMG Claire..it's so surreal when it happens. To have a man, kneel before you asking for your love... that moment is so completely humbling. Congratulations to you too!!!

Yaiann...yay engagements! Congratulations to you!!!

Thanks Nell!!!

Bill...it was a suspenseful weekend indeed.

L'aura...it really was the best birthday ever! Thanks for joining us!

Chubbalubbs...teachers engaged to art directors!!! Yay! haha. I never commented, but congratulations to you too.

Thanks so much Naomi! It definitely was a perfect day for us.

Thanks for joining us Steph. Now it's your turn to head to D.F. Email us if you ever have questions. It's going to be our weekend getaway city.

David and Lesley!!! Cousins!!! When are you guys coming back? We miss you!

Dona Junta...thanks for joining us!

Thanks Alessandrastarr!

Rudy...I am completely thankful for a guy like Dylan. Thank you so much for reading.

Jadedone...thank you for your support! I already know I'm going to be starving at my own wedding. I'm always starving at weddings!

Hey Nguyen..thanks so much for visiting!!!

Hey Du. Long time no see. Thank you for joining us in this online engagement celebration!

Maxmillion...thank you so much for your love and support. Finding the man to grow old with is truly the best feeling in the world.

Thanks Kay!!!

Thanks for celebrating with us Lesley. I still tear up reading his post. Foodies falling in love...sigh! Thanks Lesley!

bee.married said...

congrat!

Peko Peko said...

WHOHA! Congratulations!!!

So sweet!

PS, the Pescado al Pastor tacos look totally yummy!

Hungry Chica said...

So Romantic. That's my dream "Proposal". Con Amor.

Food, she thought. said...

i followed this story on both your blogs, and while his left me teary-eyed (i read his first) i was thrilled to see the chronological trajectory in this post. i look forward to following both your adventures in the blogosphere.

a fan.

lwtsh said...

omg, congratulations, j! it's sooo nice to see another couple who met online "make it!" yay!

Kelli said...

YEAH! That is great. What a cool story. Congratulations.

Christine D. said...

oh mah gads!! congratulations!!! I haven't been reading any California blogs for weeks now (afraid to get even more homesick), but tonight I decided to just dive in again and I'm not sure why, but I check out yours first. DAMN, must be the PoWeR of LoOooOve! haha

Awww....I'm so happy for you both!!

Meowyee 貓儀 said...

Jani, it was the best love story I ever read. Congratulations to you and Dylan! You two are truely made for each other!

weezermonkey said...

I just read this all over again. I love love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin