Thursday, May 01, 2008

Will Stand in Line For Desserts - Tartine Bakery

tartine bakery
It doesn't matter what time I head to Tartine Bakery in the Mission District there is always a line. And every time I go, I get bakery-struck and I get completely nervous. I stand in line peeking and hoping our favorite tarts aren't sold out. I memorize my order. Repeating it to myself over and over. And once it's my turn I recite my order like a 12-year-old-girl asking a boy to the dance. "Hi. Ummmmm...can I get a gougère, a banana cream pie and one...NO...I mean TWO friands...and a latte...to go..no I mean for here. Please. Please."

For some reason Tartine always seems chaotic to me and I really don't do well in chaos. Just ask Dylan. I'm a freak around chaos. Watch me parallel park on a busy street. OMFG! It's nuts I tell you!

Anyways, once I get my order and find a place to sit, the crazy girl calms down and life is bliss.

gougère
I love Tartine's gougères. They are the perfect combination of crusty on the outside and soft and eggy on the inside. They have the perfect amount of gruyère, pepper and thyme to make you thirst for a nice round local Syrah.

banana cream pie with caramel and chocolate
A trip to Tartine is not complete until you try their Banana Cream Pie. It is the perfect pie with the perfect flaky crust and perfect pastry cream.

banana cream pie with caramel and chocolate

jeremy at tartine

jeni at tartine

Tartine Bakery
600 Guerrero St
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 487-2600
www.tartinebakery.com

7 comments:

Du said...

omg! your face is uncensored!

One Food Guy said...

I was going to say the same thing as du...will the real Jeni please stand up!

That banana cream pie looks like it might be worth the flight from Boston to SF....is that shaved chocolate under the powdered sugar? So good!

boody said...

Tartine is the best!!!! I was just there on my last visit to SF! I ate so much that day! After Tartine my friends and I went to Bi-Rite Creamery just up the street! I devoured their salted caramel ice cream =)

BTW I love your blog, Jeni! It always makes me hungry. haha. You have to try my cupcakes one day! =)

Jill said...

Shoot, I was just in SF the week before this post. I'll have to put this on the list for my next trip. YUM!

Susan Carrier said...

I was just in SF and, of course, had to go to Tartine. I also had the gougère,and a banana tart and a latte. (Not to mention the leek and ham quiche and a taste of the lemon tart and strawberry tart.) That was my first taste of a gougère,and it is now my new favorite thing.

Linda said...

Hahahah! i was going to say the same thing. Love to see your beautiful face, Jeni! :)

Jeni said...

du...This is like the day Tom and Katie revealed Suri's photos. Proof that I'm not an alien.

One Food Guy...yes...chocolate shavings. It might be cheaper buying their book and trying to make it at home. Might save you some $$$. haha.

Boody!!! I want your cupcakes. They're so beautiful!!! We missed out on Bi-Rite..I was so bummed out. :(

Jill...you'd love Tartine. Oh and thanks for the wine. I got the extra bottle...it was so light and yummy!!! Go Domaine547!!!

Susan Carrier...have you been to Fraiche in Culver City. They use a gougère as hamburger buns. MMM!

Thanks Linda! I'm shy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin