Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Hungry in Vietnam - Cha Ca La Vong

Cha Ca La Vong
We decided that our last dinner at Cha Ca La Vong, a century old Hanoi restaurant famous for their tumeric grilled fish would be the perfect way to end our trip.

sizzling fish

set up

tumeric fish

jer eating
Grilled tableside in oil and dill, Jer and I enjoyed the tasty bites of tumeric-dusted fish over bun, basil, scallions and peanuts. MMMM! That was until we got the bill. $5-7/person...super pricey for Vietnamese standards.

Hanoi hustling at night

date night
We spent the next couple of hours walking around Hoan Kiem Lake soaking up our last moments in Vietnam. It was two weeks of never ending horn honking, wifi cafes, pho on toddler-sized stools, but it all went by so quickly.

Vietnam is a part of us. Our passion, our survivor mentality, and our appreciation for the simple...it all stems the Motherland.

Thank you for tagging along.

5 comments:

Bill said...

Thanks for let me tag along!
Now I really need to go back.

Hungry Robot said...

We hit the cha ca place, too, when we were in Hanoi last year. My partner found the fish too oily and man, was it hot to have that flame in your face! I liked it, though, and it didn't feel touristy at all, which I feared. Some farang, but enough locals to keep it real.

Anonymous said...

CHA CA THI LA, THAT IS THE NAME OF
THE FISH DISH. THE BANH MI BOYS ARE
SO CUTE... AND I AM SURE THEY DON'T HAVE THEIR PARENT'S CHECK CARDS. THANKS FOR SHARING THE VIETNAM TRIP, YOUR WRITING IS CONTENT
SO MUCH OF LOVE AND THE PICTURES ARE ENDLESS OF A SWEETHEART. THANKS FOR
A MILLION...

Chubbypanda said...

Was that the regular price on the meu? Whenever I'm in Taiwan, I have to make sure I'm eating with a native or some of the places (particularly the roadside stalls) will raise prices on me.

"Silly ABT. He doesn't know how much we're ripping him off for this soy braised tofu."

If my cousins aren't around, they're right, I don't.

Jeni said...

Bill...you have to go! What's stopping you. My brother is still talking about our trip. I loooooove Vietnam!

Hungry Robot...haha...I love your blog name. Yea..the flames were just too much along with the August humidity. It was a one time thing for us...I doubt we'll go again when we go back.

Hi anonymom...I'm glad you enjoyed the Vietnam posts. This time around was super special going with Jeremy. Awww...I can't wait to go with you mama.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin