Monday, October 15, 2007

Hungry in Vietnam - Vietnam Cookery Center

Vietnam Cookery Center
Cooking with my mama made me realize two things. 1. She is crazy and 2. She is crazy. Those reasons can clearly explain why my brother and I aren't great Vietnamese cooks. Any lesson taught by my mom usually entails levels of yelling and frustration and a lesson concluding with my mom walking away with her hands in the air.

While Jer and I were in Saigon, we thought it'd be the perfect chance to learn some basic Vietnamese cooking skills especially with an instructor with proper instructional scaffolding without the drama mama.

Jer and I ended up at the Vietnam Cookery Center. The center itself serves as a classroom during the day and then a restaurant at night. It's colonial villa ambiance and were quite relaxing and Jeremy and I were ready to cook.

ingredients

web rice paper

cha gio mix

cha gio steps

getting ready for the oil bath

sunset tan cha gio

ca kho to (caramel clay pot fish)
At the cookery center we learned how to make cha gio (Vietnamese spring rolls), canh chua ca (sour fish soup), ca kho to (caramel clay pot fish), com hap la dua (steamed rice with pandan leaf), che dau xanh (sweet green bean soup). Although the class was quite pricey ($33/person) for Vietnam standards, it was a treat to have some quality cooking time with my brother....without the yelling mama. (We still love you mom.)

Vietnam Cookery Center
362/8 Ung Van Khiem St.
Binh Thanh District, HCMC
(848) 512-1491
www.vietnamcookery.com

Hungry in Vietnam
(previous entries)
Abandoned Building Pho
Pho Bo Dac Biet
Hanoi Street Market on Pho Gia Ngu
The Road to Sapa
Sapa Market
Sapa Eats
Goodbye Sapa
Street Cart Banh Mi
Street Mollusks
Pho 24
Food Break. Shopping at Ma Ena & Shoko
Just Walking Around
Bun Bo Hue 3A3
The Flavors of Nam Giao

9 comments:

kimmy said...

Just wanted to say those photos look awesome and I know what you mean about have a crazy mum. Learning to cook from my mum was a nightmare and a half. my mum's asian and she's so pedantic about getting ingredient right or it would ruin the dish. LOL

BTW you probably get asked this question alot, but what camera do you use?

JadedOne said...

Woah those rolls look so cool! I hope when you come home that you'll be making some of these dishes and share the recipes with us :)

Trevor said...

I've never seen rolls look like that before! Someday I hope to make it to Vietnam.

KirkK said...

Hey Jeni - I had always wondered about those those type of cooking classes, thanks for filling in many blanks......and those photos look lovely as always.

Jen said...

jeni - i hope you post the recipe up for the spring roll! it looks really delish!! and i totally know about having a crazy mama (i blame her for my insanity)... :)

Chubbypanda said...

Lol. That's the precise reason I ended up learning how to cook from watching my grandmother. My mom is too scary when she's in the kitchen.

The Guilty Carnivore said...

Those cha gio wrappers are very interesting - looks like cheesecloth or caul fat even. I assume they are some sort of rice vermicelli spider web thingy.

Jeni said...

Hi Kimmy...I hear you on the mama. Can't they just calm down! haha. I'm using a Nikon D70 for about a year now.

Jadedone and Jen...once I get these Vietnam posts out the way I can get on with my LA life of eating and cooking.

guilty carnivore...those are special rice papers just for cha gio and I can only find them in Vietnam. Anwyays, they have a more consistent crunch to them. They're absolutely divine for cha gio!

Tessa said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ruth

http://muffinsnow.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin