Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Ruen Pair Post-Surgery Update

Well Ruen Pair is finally out on the town after months of restaurant augmentation. I think Thai towners are grateful to see their favorite Thai Town joint up and running again. Ruen Pair is a part of Thai Town's Big and Clean. Big and Clean restaurants include Palms Thai, Red Corner Asia, Thai Patio, and Ruen Pair, well for now. I'm not a big fan of Big & Clean restaurants. I actually prefer my Southeast Asian eats with sticky bland tables and B or below ratings maybe some creepy crawlers hiding in the back. But I'm not gonna sticky table hate today. *Note to Jeni: You are a foodblogger not a sticky table blogger. Focus on the food.

Ok...so where were we? Oh...Ruen Pair...it's damn good.

My Thai Town partner in crime ordered his usual, pork jerky and khowniew (sticky rice). So good. Definitely better than what we've had at Yai and Sapp Coffee Shop.

I ordered my usual Thai Town fare...bbq duck noodles. I think we made the mistake of ordering a different mi (egg) noodle dish, so my bowl also came with shrimp and char siu. It didn't matter, because the duck wasn't all that. Neither was the char siu or the shrimp. The only thing saving this dish was the mi noodles....cooked with precious attention and seasoned with just the right amount of duck broth.

D has been tired of his boat noodles for a while. Instead, the Noodle Whore has been craving Rad Na, a warm and soothing dish with flat rice noodles and gravy. It's a bit too heavy for me, but D managed to scarf the entire thing down in seconds. According to D, Ruen Pair makes the best Rad Na.

It was a quiet Thursday night at Ruen Pair. Maybe their longtime customers weren't aware of it's re-opening. Maybe they were lured away during the reconstruction. Hmm...neighbors Red Corner Asia and Thai Patio were busy that night. In Thai Town, food matters...but I guess obnoxious lights do too.


Fried morning-glory stems.


Ruen Pair

5257 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90027
(323) 466-0153

11am-3:30am daily

16 comments:

KirkK said...

Yay, Ruen Pair is open again! Though I always end up at Yai...and those almost (San Gabriel) sticky tables.....

Daily Gluttony said...

Mmmm, I've been wanting to try Ruen Pair forever...I'm so glad it's reopened! I heard that their fried morning glory stems are fabulous...we Canto people eat those too, stir fried with some garlic & shrimp paste--yummy! =)

Erin S. said...

Need to add this one to the list--I've heard many good things about it.

eatdrinknbmerry said...

Yezzzzz, I like this place. I don't care how dirty the place is- my only prerequisite is that the food is edible. Note, the Rad Nar was very good but only b/c i REQUESTED NO PALM SUGAR. It's the way my dad has made it for us since we were little so I prefer it savory, not sweet. The pork jerky/khao nioew was also very nostalgic... while kids had squeeze-its and fruit snacks... these were my source of nourishment. When do we go back???

Food Marathon said...

http://foodmarathon.blogspot.com/2007/01/at-long-last-ruen-pair_16.html After trying almost all of Thai town's notable restaurants I can gladly say that I don't have to search any further- Ruen Pair is my only choice from now on.

Jess said...

I agree about Red Corner Asia. Their food tastes more like a Panda Express than its much worthier Thai Town neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Such food snobs. I recently ate at Red Corner Asia with a Thai friend, and our meal was delicious and the service attentive. Their Volcano Chicken was served on a flaming platter, attracting attention from across the room. Afterwards, we noticed almost every other table got a flaming plate, as well. Give it a try, and enjoy!

Deb said...

I have been to Red Corner Asia and was not impressed. Everything's a matter of taste, it just wasn't mine. Gotta hit Ruen Pair.

Chubbypanda said...

I still haven't found good Thai food. I must broaden my search.

Jeni said...

kirk...I think overall Yai and Sapp are my favorite Thai Town joints. Yai for BBQ duck noodles and Sapp for Thai Boat noodles. Torung is in there for late night boat noodles after clubbing and concerts.

DG...once you're done packing and after we hit up Shik Do Rak...we need to chill in Thai Town.

Ruen Pair is good stuff Erin!

EDNBM...gotto check out those other small joints across the street. Next week yes???

Food Marathon..it's always good to find that one place to call home. The people at RP are super sweet too. I think we have 3 more places to go before finishing all of Thai Town.

Jess...I agree.
Anonymous...I'm sorry that you think that I'm a food snob. I have eaten at Red Corner Asia and it was good. But I think there are far better places in Thai Town. I'm sure RCA's Volcano Chicken is tasty. But RCA is just too "safe" for me. Their food seemed to be lacking that soul that I've found at other joints...usually the smaller and less obnoxiously lit ones.

Deb...I'm always happy hearing from you. You have this motherly love that is so comforting. Anyways, I'm pretty sure you'll like Ruen Pair a lot more.

CP...I didn't like Thai food until I ate on the streets in Thailand. Thai Town and Wat Thai LA have been the only places that I've found comparable eats. Gotto go where the Thai's eat...especially the old Thai people. Sapp Coffee Shop is old people heaven.

Anonymous said...

Just went to Ruen Pair with my boyfriend who's Thai.. born and raised in Bankgok.. and that was one the worst plates of Rad Na he's ever eaten. It was totally bland. Thank goodness for the fish sauce, chili and sugar on the table. Other dishes, however were pretty good.. particulary the Prik Khing (spicy chicken with long bean)

Jeni said...

Hi Anonymous...I'm sorry your bf didn't like the rad na. My bf grew up on his family's rad na which is made without palm sugar. Where do you and your bf go for good rad na? Anyways, glad the other dishes saved the night. Thanks for reading!

Thai news said...

it looks delicious !

Anonymous said...

i'm not the anonymous from above but...

i personally go home to my dad for the best rahd na.

and i gotta agree. restaurants over here always make it too sweet.

so i'd say, either go to the streets of thailand or your best thai buddy's home to get some good rahd na.

Anonymous said...

Just came back from this place and it was f***ing horrible. not so much the food, but the service... waitress spilled a glass of water all over us and they didn't really even wipe it up, so my wife's bag got soaked and the table was still wet during the whole meal... appetizer came in last after we ate half of the main dishes... no water refill (and we got some seriously spicy food too). The waitress ignored me when I tried to get her attention, to get some water.
OK so it's Friday night and it's busy, but still. The food wasn't bad, but not that great either, there are other places in Thaitown that are better and friendlier too... so we're not going back to this one. Sorry.

Tim said...

Good Job! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin