Sunday, November 26, 2006

Oishii Eats and EDNBM in SF - Out the Door at The Ferry Building


D and I weren't planning to go to the Ferry Building during this trip. But in our last hours in SF, we were able to squeeze in Ferry Building time as we met my brother and my longtime JET Programme buddy Jody for lunch. As I tried to take care of D, who was exhausted from our previous day's trip to Sonoma, and catch up with Jody who I haven't seen in over 3 years, I felt overwhelmed just trying to find a place to eat.

We finally ended up randomly standing in front of Out The Door, the Charles Phan's Slanted Door's adjacent take-out joint. Hungry, cold, and tired, we all settled for bougie Vietnamese take-out.


Sick D's Cup-o-Pho
$8 for this small portion. Geez. D seemed to enjoy it. But when you're sick because you've gone a little overboard with free Pinots and Zins, a bowl, I mean, cup of pho will definitely hit the spot. Out the Door got lucky here.

Jody's Lemongrass Tofu (Dau Hu Xao Xa)
Jody's my favorite vegetarian. While we were living in Japan, Jody always introduced new veggies and tofu dishes yet always respected my love for all things meat. When I turned 25, she even coordinated my Kobe Beef Birthday dinner. As my friends and I were devouring the most succulent cuts of Kobe beef, Jody sat in the midst of Kobe beef smoke eating her 700 yen vegetarian Subway sandwich. Now that's love. Anyways, this vegetarian was happy with her Lemongrass tofu.

Roasted Pork Sandwich (Thit Quay Banh Mi) $8
I've never spent $8 for a banh mi...ever. But I have to admit, the banh mi was on point. The pork was slow roasted, tender and sliced thick, just like my crazy mom makes it. The bread and veggies were incredibly fresh. $8 is a lot. I'd say the sandwich is really worth $4. But we were on vacation, so I'm not going to whine. The sandwich was ngon qua (oishii)!

Chinese donut (Cha Quay)
$2! Freegin TWO BUCKS for a Chinese donut. This is where I draw the line.

We were happy with our Vietnamese take-out but I'm pretty sure we won't be back. Vietnamese food is not suppose to be expensive. Enough said.


We had to rush out after lunch since my brother needed to get back to work and D and I needed to head to the airport. But before going, we spent several minutes in awe of the yummy mushrooms over at Far West Fungi. Shrooms are hawt! We were bummed that we were going to miss out on the Ferry Building's First Fungi Festival.

Come back for more SF eats!

Out The Door
1 Ferry Building (marketplace map)
San Francisco, California 94111
(415) 861-8032
www.slanteddoor.com

19 comments:

BoLA said...

You two are too cute! muhaha! When are we going to double date??? ;)

Daily Gluttony said...

"pixelitis" or not, you guys are the cutest couple ever!

Colleen Cuisine said...

AWWWWW! So cute! Hope you guys are having fun!

Anonymous said...

boooo..love stinks!

Professor Salt said...

Is that the Ferry Building? What all did you eat there?

landofmason said...

you guys are the best! hey is that top from target? if so, i have the same one!

rameniac said...

sexy peopar doing sexy things.

Anna said...

a "crazy mom" mention! can a full new "crazy mom" post be far behind? (sorry, but I think that was the first ~Oishii~ I read and I completely loved it...)

elmomonster said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
elmomonster said...

It's been forever since I've been to SF. Your beautiful photos reminds me how great it is up there.

The Guilty Carnivore said...

My sister was telling me about Slanted Door's takeout venture, and I was balking at the prices as well. $8 for a banh mi! The vapors!

She also said yuppies and tourists practically, well, eat it up, so to speak, so I guess they are getting what the market will bear. Makes me want to open a high-rent/chi chi/frou frou Viet takeout joint, employ my mom as the sole cook, charge $5 for a shot of vietnamese coffee with some condensed milk, and watch as the receipts pile up.

eatdrinknbmerry said...

J, ANY soup is good when you're sick. And they really weren't bad. It was nice and cold- perfect for 'phaux' (fake pho). Sf was so fun.

Anonymous said...

HEY, WAS THAT SOMEONE ASKING FOR CRAZY MAMA...I LOVE HER TOO... SHE WAS SOUND VERY HIP. GOOD POST AND GOOD PICTURES TOO EXCEPT THE PRICES OF THOSE VIETNAMESE FOODS... IT WAS LOVELY TO READ YOUR POST.

Jeni said...

BOLA...let's try and set something up in January! We can still set up a postpone nabe night for you and Mac!

DG and CC...aww..thanks. I had no idea D & I would end up like this...all pixeled out together. We'll see you guys on Friday!

Anonymous...Anonymous comments from someone I know stinks. Go Corea!

Professor...it was good seeing you Sat! Imagine if Out The Door set food in Westminster. Dang. The Vietnamese would not be cool with the prices. I'd watch out for flying durians.

Landofmason...yes, Target. I love that top. I have a nice collection of "eating tops" that are forgiving to the eating gut!

Rameniac...we are not sexy. Food is sexy.

Anna...thanks for visiting. Read my post on Wat Thai LA and Top Baguette...my mom is a guest writer on those posts. She crazy.

Elmomonster...SF is the perfect urban getaway from LA. I love it. Plus free room and board from my brother also helps. Nor Cal woo woo woo! (<-- UCI Nor Cal Holla). HAHAH!

Guilty Carnivore...seriously. Just give them tiny portions, plate it nicely...and voila...charge them 3-4 times more. I don't get it. I'm alll about sticky tables and a rolling dirty dish cart!

EDNBM...I'm glad you enjoyed your phaux pho! I had a great time...gotto post up the rest of SF this week!

ANONY-MOM...please don't love yourself. That scares me. Glad you enjoyed the post and our pixelated picture. I know you love when I hide my identity. hahaha.

Anna said...

hey, Jeni--I think my post earlier was badly written...what I meant was that I've read both of the earlier "crazy Mom" posts, and was noodging you to do a new one. (I love your mom as occasional guest star!)

which is not to imply that all the rest of your posts are anything but wonderful, just that I'm a sucker for crazy Moms, having one my own self...

Deb said...

Hi J! It was great to meet you all at lunch and hope we can do it again!

The Bill said...

Wow ncie post and yummy pictures...
Talk about over price vietnamese food...

Passionate Eater said...

Last time I looked at this post, I could'a sworn that there was only the pixelated pix of you and D, and now I see an entire post about Slanted Door! Next time, you gotta ask me (or your bro) about places to eat in the Financial District--Slanted Door is notoriously overpriced for stuff our Mammies and Pappies make at home for pennies! But beautiful pix!

Jeni said...

Anna...gotto love the crazy moms. We're gonna be just like them!

Deb...it was great meeting you too!

The Bill...yummy pictures, yummy food, empty Vietnamese wallet. Sniff.

Passionate Eater...our mistake was that we didn't call you while we were up in SF. We made a mistake, we paid the consequences. Will you forgive us PE??? We'll buy you a SUPERVISOR...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin