Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tacos El Compita - Tacos Dorados Heaven

Before heading out on the JET Programme, my long time taco buddy Marshall hit up one last taco shop before moving to the Taco Deprived country of Japan. In his latest email to me, Marshall wrote:

Did I tell you about the last taco truck I went to before I left for Japan? If you take Alameda south from J-town, make a right on Olympic and a left on Hooper, its right in the middle island less than a quarter mile down the street. Make sure you get the tacos dorados, and try their al pastor. This sh*t is bomb!!!!!!!!! Its also got some really unique style salsa with the consistency of tabasco sauce, but if you just pour a whole mess on and soak the taco, the results are unbelievable.

So I spent Yom Kippur (the day of Atonement) slash LAUSD day off circling the warehouse lined streets of Downtown LA in search of the taco truck my friend Marshall was raving about. Tacos El Compita might be hard to find and/or it just might be off the usual taco truck tracks, but let me tell you sunthing, the tacos dorados are amazing!


My asada and pastor tacos were good. I surprisingly enjoyed my asada even though at first glance all I noticed where overcut chunks of steak. But the flavor of lime, garlic and pepper made up for the lack of attention to the asada's texture. The al pastor was ok. Nothing extraordinary but some good chunks of stewed onions added a nice sweet edge to the pastor taco.

But the winner today comes from my amazingly crunchy and succulent dorados taco. Everything was perfect about the dorados, juicy and tender shredded beef encased in a delicious deep fried tortillas. I really can't imagine a dorados getting any better than this. I promise you, only good will come out of the Tacos Dorados Heaven. (*Sorry for my crappy picture of the Tacos Dorados. There really isn't a way to make it attractive.)

Tacos El Compita
South of Olypmic where Compton Ave. and Hooper meet (map)
(Across the street from Smart and Final Store #310)
Daily 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.

14 comments:

Anna said...

...I think Jeni's starting to advertise her blog entries by giving us just the picture first (like with Zo a little while ago) to tantalize us. it works! :) if I drove by this little truck, I'd stop...

Chubbypanda said...

Detail, woman! I need details!

... *whimper*

- Chubbypanda

Daily Gluttony said...

sometimes there are plus sides to living in the ghetto--this place is pretty much down the street from our place! (yes, we live in industrial hell) thanks for the rec--i am SO going here! =)

Jeni said...

Anna...no, I'm not a tease. I don't post only one picture to tantalize you...it's to get my lazy butt moving on writing posts. (^o^) Check out Sushi Zo though...aaww man, his stuff is amazing. Thanks for stopping by.

Chubbypanda...I got your details! You better be happy!

DG...oooh...so does that mean I might have a chance to stop by before D and I hit up your place this weekend??? The only bad thing is that they close at 2:30 p.m. It's the perfect weekend lunch spot!

Daily Gluttony said...

J-

I don't know about you guys but you can bet that Isaac and I will be hitting this place up on Sunday morning after the soiree. Tacos (actually all Mexican food) are a great hangover cure! ;)

Chubbypanda said...

Hurray! Details! Mmm... Tastes like analysis.

You know, you'd surprised at the availability of tacos in Japan. Mexican food is really starting to take off there as a trendy cuisine. Of course, the flavors have been lightened to appeal to the Japanese palate.

Yummy! Tacos! Want! Want!

- Chubbypanda

Jeni said...

DG...I'm REALLY hoping that Dylan will be nice and allow me to get some tacos before prepping at your place. I've been craving these tacos for days now. If we go, I'll try and sneak some in for you and Isaac.

Chubbypanda..."Tastes like analysis." You are funny! Unfortunately, although trendy in Japan, Mexican food is sooo watered down. While living in Osaka, we had a choice of TWO places for Mexican eats. Let me just say, I'd rather eat at Baja Fresh. It was pretty sad.

Bandini said...

nice find Jeni! you are a taco superstar.

tacos dorados from a truck are a rare thing.

I'm so there.

Jeni said...

Thanks Bandini! I think tacos dorados might be my new thing. Tacolicious!

Kirk said...

Hi Jeni - Your photos look just great to me...started my stomach a rumbling!!!

Jeni said...

Hi Kirk...hisashiburi (long time no see)! Hope all is well with wifee and your stomach! I've gotto make it down to SD to get a meal with the king of SD foodblogs!

Tiffany said...

man, i hope your taco buddy's getting along alright. i can sympathize with his plight cause i'm a fellow mexican eats fiend and am currently on the JET program. oh tacos/burritos/enchiladas/chili con queso/quesadillas/margaritas bigger than your head... around here, the only mexican fiestas are the ones that happen in my kitchen. and the foreign market keeps flaking out...first no tortillas, and now they’ve quit stocking chunks of cheese. i went to nagoya recently and the bulk of my preparation was researching mexican restaurants. we presented the printed pages to some locals on the first night in town, got recommendations, and ended up discovering some of the best food we’ve mauled in a while. your taco posts make me incredibly hungry and jealous. keep tempting me please.

Jeni said...

Tiffany...girl, I feel you. Other than my family, man, I reall missed Mexican food in Japan. I gave up on trying to make Mexican food while I was there. Spending $30 to make tacos just didn't sound right to me. I think two years on JET was enough for me. I'm back in LA and I'm extremely happy with the finds here.

Gambatte ne!

*I'm reading your blog. Sugoi~!

Anonymous said...

also worth a try are the ham (jamon) torta and the shrimp tacos... just tried shimp the other day... amazing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin