Saturday, September 30, 2006

Momomo

The last time I was in Honolulu, my Auntie and I weren't able to book a table over at the new and trendy Momomo Izakaya. This time however, it seems like the izakaya groupies have lost interest in this big black box of a restaurant that stands all alone on Wai'alae Ave.

During this trip, my brother and I were seated immediately when we strolled in around 10pm. We were pretty surprised that that place was pretty empty. Then our vacationing butts realized that it was a Monday night, a very solemn night to be izakaya'ing (yes, I made that into a verb!) The black and red minimalist look was anything but minimalist. Instead it just seemed like we were at a Chinese wedding, sans our mom and dad and a Lazy Susan.

I was craving sake after we (me, D, and Jer) went to a great Sake Tasting over Silver Lake Wine (I know, I'm late on that post). I've learned the basics to sake, well, I mean, I know what to expect when ordering a Junmai vs. a Junmai Daiginjo. Momomo's sake list is extensive and their sampler menu, which allowed me to choose ANY three sakes on their menu sounded perfect for my indecisive butt. I chose an unfiltered Yaegaki Daiginjo, Senshin Junmai Daiginjo, and a Masumi Nanago Junmai Daiginjo...all for $19.50. A good deal for the amount of premium sake at our table.


For an late-dinner snack, Jer and I had fry eyes and ordered pretty much anything fried. Karaage (fried chicken), teba-saki (chicken wings), and hamachi kama (yellowtail collar) are standard Izakaya must-order items.

Karaage was fine.

Teba-saki were good, but it ain't no Furaibo.

Hamachi kama was ok, but I can find better over at Tokkuri-Tei down the street.

Momomo is overall just ok. Go for their sake and karaage. If you go early enough, fill up at Leonard's beforehand. Follow this Honolulu eats recipe and I'll promise you a happy stomach and light bill.

Momomo
3008 Waialae Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816
(808) 737-6666
5 p.m.-midnight
Closed Tuesday

Other notable izakaya's in Kapahulu:
Tokkuri-Tei (611 Kapahulu Ave.)
Gazen (2840 Kapiolani Blvd.)
Mr. Ojisan (1018 Kapahulu Ave.)
Izakaya Nonbei (3108 Olu St.)

Sake Chart

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always meant to try this place but I think I'll pass now...Tried to get into Mr. Ojisan couple of times but had to wait too long. I definitely want to try Nonbei though, I somehow really can relate to the name somehow?

Daily Gluttony said...

hahaha, perhaps i was following you--we went to momomo also! too funny! i'm getting my posts up slowly but surely, so it'll prolly be another 3 weeks before you see mine!

aww, i wish i coulda joined you guys at dinner tonite, but the hubby & i are gonna go visit my mommy up north. i'll see you guys next week tho'...can't wait!

Jeni said...

Anonymous...it's ok that you passed on Momomo...the food was just ok. I'll be trying Nonbei and Gazen the next time I'm there. There was this cool one I went to a couple of years ago, it was near UH, but it was total SALARY-MAN (J-Business men) style. Real smokey and they even had potato-furai (french fries) on the menu. I wish I remembered what it was called. That place was a true izakaya.

DG...sooooo funny that you guys went here too. I think you should just bring me along on your trips now. I'm sure we will have NO problems finding a place to eat. We missed you at M Grill. Food was good...but the real fun was over at Soju Town. Wish you were there. Hope you had a good trip up North. See you Sat!!! (*^o^*)

Kirk said...

Hi Jeni - I've always enjoyed Tokkuri-Tei, it's been so long since I've been home.......I don't think that I'd recognize the place!

Anonymous said...

I think you may have ordered the wrong dishes at Momomo... I'm a huge fan of the restaurant, and tend to go there at least once a month. The rolls (especially spicy tuna) is the best in Hawaii, as well as the fried oysters and the puri puri shrimp. I must also say their spicy ramen is just amazing. I'm from Japan and am quite fussy about Japanese food, and Momomo has never disapponted me yet. I take all my friends that visit Hawaii there and they all love it too!

Anonymous said...

Momomo has been shut down and this time i think if is for good. Last time I was there they had INS agents all over the place.

Anonymous said...

I live down the street from Momomo and am sad to report that it has closed its doors for good. Too many good izakayas with a lot more parking to compete with, I guess.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin