Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Leonard's Bakery

You really haven't tasted true Hawaii until you've gone to Leonard's for freshly fried malasadas. The Portugese brought these delightful donuts along with thousands of Portugese immigrants to work on cattle ranches and sugar plantations in the late 19th century. However, malasadas didn't become popular until the mid-1950's when Leonard's open it's bakery doors for fresh malasadas on Kapahulu Avenue.

Leonard's heavenly malasadas are always fried to a perfect crispyness on the outside, yet still leaving it moist and warm on the inside. At 66 cents each, it's not hard to eat at least three. They taste best when you eat them right out of the box...so make sure you eat them off the hood of your car in the parking lot. Enjoy!

Leonard's Bakery
933 Kapahulu Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816
(808) 737-5591

*Although Leonard's is a bakery, don't bother buying the other stuff, especially their faded 90's t-shirts. They're known for their malasadas and that's about it. My brother and I tried their "Liliha Bakery" style cream puffs...but I suggest making the drive out to Liliha's for their famous cocopuffs.

6 comments:

Daily Gluttony said...

OK, this is too scary, you were following me. Oh wait, maybe I was following you since you were in Oahu before us. LOL!

We kept going to Leonards to stock up on malasadas for the car & hotel room. Yeah, some got cold, but who cares? =)

Kirk said...

Wow, they cost 66 cents now! I've been gone a loooong time.....

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeni,
Too late now but Champions is pretty good! It's on Beretania St. near McCully very close to Kapahulu. Very close compared to L.A. driving distances. Cocopuffs are good but I'd trade you for an AngelMaid cream puffs anyday!
Kyle

Jeni said...

Hey DG...I can use some malasadas right now. My cute 94 year old grandpa insisteed to buy 2 DOZEN one time. There were only 2 other people with him. haha. Soo yummy!

Kirk...I never pay attention to how much they cost. I just know I want chree of dem!

Hey Kyle...I'll try Champions malasadas the next time I'm there. And you'd trade a cocopuff for an Angel Maid? What's your address??? jk. Thanks for stopping by!

Chubbypanda said...

Jeni,

Between you and Kathy from A Passion for Food, my arteries aren't going to survive the winter. Deep fried and sugary? Where do I sign?

- CP

Jeni said...

CP...I think foodbloggers get discounts for bipass surgeries...so don't worry. Eat on!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin