Thursday, September 28, 2006

Diamond Head Market & Grill



Diamond Head Market & Grill is always the first place I head to once my plane lands in Honolulu. Although the always packed parking lot and facade looks like another post-surfing plate lunch spot, once you see their menu, you'll be sure you're not eating an overflowing plate of loco-moco. In 2002, owner/chef, Kevin Ro, wanted to break away from the typical plate lunch fare and instead took chances with a gourmet flare to Hawaii's already established way of eating lunch. Instead of chili-gohan (chili over rice) and teriyaki chicken plates, at DHM&G, you'll find Portobello Mushroom Burger and Grilled Kabocha Pumpkin, Eggplant and Zucchini plates.


My brother was actually suppose to guest-blog this post, but he's taking too long. Arrgh. Brothers!!!! Anyways, DHM&G 's Teriyaki Rib Eye Burger is always a family favorite. Their thin slices of tender rib eye on a fresh sweet roll is nothing but perfect. Their Twice Fried Fries are also another gluttonous delight.


I wanted to try something different, so I ordered the Grilled Ahi marinated in a Wasabi/Ginger Sauce. My plate was super fresh and moist, but I knew should of ordered the Grilled Ahi Wasabi Aioli Sandwich instead. Their grilled sandwiches are top notch.


You'll also find some major delights inside Diamond Head's market. There are always packed salads waiting for you upon entry. My brother and I went crazy for their very moist Blueberry and Cream Cheese scones, which are also perfect the next morning. The market has everything you need for a picnic. Their ever changing deli carried a Bacon, Sugar-Cane and Pecan-Crusted Pork Loin, Pineapple-Ginger Slaw when I was there.

It's the perfect place to pick up goodies for a Honolulu Zoo Summer Concert picnic (Wednesdays at 4:30) or Winter Concerts (Sundays) or just to watch the sun go down. One of my most favorite times in Hawaii was watching the Sunset over Queens Beach with my Teri Rib Eye Burger and Twice Fried Fries as I spent time with my beloved Auntie.

Diamond Head Market & Grill
3575 Campbell Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96815
(808) 732-0077

4 comments:

Chubbypanda said...

You Hawaiians. I'm surprised the entire population doesn't look like Sam Choy, what with all the great food you guys have there.

- CP

Passionate Eater said...

I love the cute picture of you posin'! Also, I can't wait for Oishii's Bro to start posting! (C'mon now bro, hurry with the posts!)

Jeni said...

Chubbypanda...it's all about moderation. I'd look like a taco truck if I ate tacos non-stop.

Passionate Eater...my brother took the picture without me knowing. I wasn't posing. I always look that good. JK. You probably won't see post from my brother...brother is lazy...end of story. We'll be up there in November most likely, so hope we get to meet up with you again!

Anonymous said...

hey i ran across your blog while surfin the different reviews of restaurants on oahu , and i gotta say i was also an avid fan of diamond head market and grill for a long time... and i ,like you liked the fact that it was a lil different than most local-style plate places , but recently i noticed that they do now have a loco-moco on the menu and it is as unhealthy (or more so)as any local place on the island, it seems the place has really changed , the market still offers healthy alternatives like before , but they seem to be lacking in innovative ideas and robust flavors like they had just a short time ago, maybe they changed chefs or maybe they are just over-producing in hopes to sell alot more , but when food is cooked with attention to detail it really comes across when you eat it, well ill check back there from time to time ,, they do still (and have always) have killer scones.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin