Monday, August 28, 2006

Los Cinco Puntos - East LA

I finally had some time to head out to Los Cinco Puntos in East LA last week. Los Cinco Puntos is located on the corner of Lorena and Cesar Chavez Blvd., east of the cemetary where everyone drives at a strict rate of 30 mph. Don't even try passing these guys because the po-po's are everywhere trying to catch those who dare to go dangerously beyond the 30 mph speed limit.

Cinco Puntos is an old-school neighborhood take-out deli shop where you can buy tortillas, tamales, sodas, Mexican candies, and of course -- TACOS. Once inside you'll smell aroma of corn masa and chicharrones and hear the the soothing sound of masa being slapped back and forth by CP's Tortilleria mamas.

I ended up ordering two asada tacos ($1.75 ea), a bag or tortilla chips ($1.89), and a dozen fresh tortillas ($2.29). I would of loooooved to scarf down my tacos right then and there, but there weren't any chairs or tables at Cinco Puntos. Most customers opt to eat the tacos in the parking lot, however, with our recent heat wave, I had to wait to eat my tacos at home.

My asada tacos were great. Juicy chunks of asada beautiful hints of garlic and pepper. Unlike standard street tacos with onions and celantro, Cinco Puntos tops off their tacos with nopales, simmered cactus leaves. The nopales added a slighty tarty green-bean addition to their already awesome asada. But what really did it for this taco was Cinco Puntos' handmade tortillas. Forget about soggy and to' up tortillas, nothing can seep through CP's badboys. Their filling tortillas and hunky chunks of asada got me full after one taco. I ended up eating my other taco for next morning's breakfast. I really heart Cinco Puntos leftovers. I'll be back for their mouthwatering carnitas and tamales real soon.


Los Cinco Puntos
3300 E Cesar Chavez Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90063
(323) 261-4084
Mon-Fri 8am-6pm
Sat & Sun 7am-6pm
*Closed Wednesdays

10 comments:

Passionate Eater said...

Wow, you have a tiny stomach Jeni (or you exercise discretion well), I just ate three slices of Costco-sized pizza for lunch, so I know I would've eaten at least 4 of those tacos, even though they are quite large!

Eddie Lin said...

Hey Jeni,

Oh I've been trying to find a place that does good cactus. Looks like you beat me to it!

Do they have a large nopales section on the menu?

Daily Gluttony said...

mmm, yum! this is near my work-hood too, so i'll have to go check them out! =)

Anonymous said...

u really like mexican food, dont you?? you should expand your horizons to korean food that does not have the words BBQ. :)

eatdrinknbmerry said...

Sorry, but those tacos are instant Rings-of-Fire. Owwwwww.

sarah said...

the first time i ever tried nopales, i was so grossed out by their texture.

now i love them!

Jeni said...

Hey PE...yea, I have limited stomach space. It sucks. Back in college I was able to eat tons of steaks and kalbi. Those days are no longer. That's why I am very selective with my meals...no WOS (Waste of Space) for me.

Haaaay Eddie! How are you doing? Nopales was ok, it's just a condiment over at Los 5 Puntos. What kinda Nopales are you looking for? Bile marinated nopales?

Los 5 Puntos is goooood Pam. Try the carnitas, I heard that's their specialty. Their tortilla chips are also suuuper yummy.

Anonymous...hey my Korean friend is back. Just to let you know, we ate at Elephant Snacks on Western the other day. SO LEAVE ME ALONE! jk. I appreciate my one anonymous Korean reader!

EDNBM...your inability to eat massive amounts of spicy foods...what a shame. Losing points D.

Sarah...I agree...it took me a while to get used to the texture. They're like green peppers...but slimier. They're great with the 5 Puntos beauties!

Chubbypanda said...

Lol. I've never tried nopales, but I did see them on sale while I was in Vancouver earlier this week. Blew my mind. Close to 1,500 miles north of the US-Mexican border, and they have fresh nopales at the Granville Island Public Market every morning. The world really is flat these days.

Jeni said...

ChubbyPanda...in Vancouver??? That's crazy. I remember seeing only ONE Mexican restaurant while I was there...and it was super Gringo-Mexican food. That's crazy. Were the Canucks eating it?

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your post looking for something else, but... Since it has not been mentined yet, los 5 puntos is the place where the movie "blood in blood out" starts. The movie's protagonist buys food in there, then he walks out and looks at the pinia which is located up at Indiana St. Just some trivia, but to me, this makes this place a historical site :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin