Monday, April 10, 2006

South Street, the only good thing goin' on in Westwood

I know this is a week late, but I'm still mourning over UCLA's loss in the NCAA Championship. I took last Monday off because I was sick...ummm...and the big game was goin' on. Westwood Village was madness on Monday. My friend Steve and I headed over to Maloney's on Campus...only to find this...
Maloney's was packed THREE hours before game time!
Don't these people have jobs!


Afterwards, Steve and I ran over to Brewco (Westwood Brewing Company) only to find another long line...
We got in quickly, only to find there were NO seats left.
Steve and I ended up sitting on a stage in front of some tv's. We were the first to sit on the stage, other's started to follow. We had a couple of strange people with absolutely no sense of personal space sit next to us. My back is not a place where you can rest your Daily Bruin!!! Baaaah!

Other than being annoyed by people lacking personal space consideration, it was a very sad night for the Bruins. I really loved that team. Sniff!

The only good thing going for me that day was lunch at South Street!
Oh how I love South Street!
I've never been to Philly, so I can't really say I know what a great Philly Cheesesteak should taste like. But South Street is the best that I've had so far. Tender steak, tasty grilled onions, and a melted blend of white American and Provolone cheeeese. The amoroso rolls they use are so fresh and so clean! This was the only good thing going for me on Monday. Sniff.

South Street
1010 Broxton Avenue
Westwood Village, Ca 90024
(310)443-9895
10am-11pm daily
www.southstreetcheesesteak.com

9 comments:

Bandini said...

well being an SC fan I know how it is to lose a championship game.

I've heard alot about southstreet and that cheesesteak does look great.

Now I have a reason to go to westwood :)

eatdrinknbmerry said...

Jeni, that cheesesteak actually looks better than Victor's in Culver City. I'll have to put those two head to head very soon.

rick james said...

im with you jeni... i have no freakin clue what a decent philly cheesesteak should taste like... i sometimes go to these places in the mall and if thats what it taste like i have no desire to go to philly and taste the real deal... probably have to ask someone from philly for their opinion..

Jeni said...

Bandini...haaaaay! How's the taco hunt going??? Take a break from your asadas and pastors for some South Street! It's good stuff. If you don't wanna head into Bruin territory, there's also a location in Burbank.

Dylan...post your Victor's cheesesteak. I wanna see!!!

DCCF...these guys are the real deal. Check out their awards. The Philadelphia City Council recognizes South Street as the "Home away from home" for all Philadelphians on the West Coast.

jo said...

being a philly native, gotta say that south street is kinda mediocre...where's the grease? where's the aroma? where are the tasty kake coffee cakes?

Willie said...

South Street has the best cheesesteaks outside Philly, hands down.

They used to be better though. I was back in L.A. about a month ago and noticed they'd made some changes. Like instead of the 12" sandwiches they now have 9" sandwiches. Huh?? And I miss the fries they used to have. These little skinny ones they have now just aren't the same.

But still, given the other "choices" in L.A., South Street remains the best. :-)

Anonymous said...

I had southstreet this past weekend. I had gone to the location in Burbank about 2 months ago and fell in love w/ there cheesesteaks but this past weekend I had them from the Westwood location. I'm sorry to say it but, it sucked! it was just...too neat. And they put the fries in a styrafoam container..made the fries soggy. Burbank location is by far the best.

Elliott said...

the picture looks good... but a true philly cheesesteak looks like hell and tastes like heaven while being all at once the very incarnation of gluttonous sin. two telltale signs this ain't the real thing:

1) the cheese is on top of the meat. in a real cheesesteak, the cheese is always between the meat and the bread unless you're getting whiz.

2) you never mix cheeses.

3) the roll just looks wrong. you say it's amoroso's... but the one in the picture really doesn't look it.

4) there's a salad in the picture.

i'm not saying that this isn't a good sandwich... but it's not a real cheesesteak, and for a philly native, i'd say authenticity trumps taste because authenticity delivers that kind of spiritual satisfaction that no gourmet sandwich could ever hope to provide. oh how i miss philly...

nosh said...

I'm enjoying reading your blog. I love cheesesteaks, and the combo at South Street isn't horrible, but a lot better can be had. Nearby, try Philly West, the divy bar on the east side of Westwood Blvd just south of Santa Monica Blvd. But the best on the entire westside is south of LAX on Main in El Segundo at Big Mike's. Their Philly cheesesteak is great, well stuffed (no need to order double meat, and no room), and I get mine with onions and both hot and sweet peppers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin