Monday, February 20, 2006

East LA for Ciro's and King Taco's

It's been 10 years since I've last seen my high school in Boyle Heights. Wow, so much has changed. LAC/USC hospital has grown onto almost all of Marengo St. Seeing my high school for the first time in ten years made me think one thing. "Dang I was so stupid back then." Yes, those uncomfortable memories of embarrassing crushes are horrifying. Blechhhh! Ok, ignore the HS mistakes and think about "CIRO'S CIRO'S CIRO'S!"

Due to rain and our Angeleno way of not knowing how to deal with rain, I was an hour late in meeting up with my buddy Marshall. Traffic stinks. Traffic stinks even worse when you're going to eat. Traffic stinks the most when you know you're going to eat something great. Anyways, as you roll down Evergreen St. you'll pass El Tepeyac on your left and you'll find this sign in front of a small store front that looks closed. Don't worry, it's not.

So I stumbled inside the restaurant hoping to see my friend, only to find that he wasn't there. Just two large families staring at me wondering how in the heck did I end up in East LA. "I'm here for the flautas, but my friend's not here yet." My friend finally came in, and my experience with Ciro's began. They quickly gave us a bowl of fresh tortilla chips, thick and oily, the way I like 'em. Plus this below, avocado salsa. Too bad I don't like avocados and chunks of tomatoes. I know, I know. I just don't like avocados. They're slimy!

you avocado freaks would love this

Ciro's pride and joy

Flautas vs. Taquitos. Essentially they're the same. When I think of taquitos, I think of Costco's. When I think of flautas, I think of roach coaches. I like my thoughts of flautas better. Anyways, 6 flautas for $6.
My beef flautas were pretty amazing. Eat 'em fast before the slimy guacomole sogs them up. These super crunchy babies encapsulates some of the tastiest shredded beef. Bite them hard or else the long strings of beef will come running out and all you're left with is an empty flauta shell. :( The rice and beans are also very very beautiful!

After Ciro's, Marsh and I still needed to go over some business. He's about to be interviewed for the JET Programme and so he needed a lot a interview tips. We were suppose to go over the interview at Ciro's, but we got to caught up in our flautas.

Ok...so where do you chill in East LA? I was pretty sure there wasn't one Coffee Bean or Starbucks around. That's ok, but we found something better. Way better.

King Taco is open 24 hours and serves coffee!

clockwise: asada, pastor, and suadero???

I was pretty full from Ciro's. I actually wasn't able to finish my flautas plate. I really shouldn't of gotten any more food for that night. But, we were at King Taco's and I just couldn't help myself. King Taco's asadas and pastors were good. Great? Hmm...not really. Well, I was full, so my sense of greatness was completely skewed by flautas at Ciro's. Plus, King Taco provides no limons of any sort. I spent most of my time and stomach space on the suadero since I've never had a suadero taco. It's beef shoulder...but the texture reminds me so much of pork chops. Interesting.

A night back in East LA brought back some good memories. I miss the hills and the calmness that East LA has to offer. It's a great place to chill over flautas or average coffee and yummy tacos on a rainy Friday night.

Ciro's
705 N. Evergreen St.
East Los Angeles, Ca 90033
(323) 269-5104
7am-8pm Tues-Thurs
7am-9pm Fri & Sat

King Taco's

2400 E. Cesar Chavez Avenue
East LA, Ca 90033
(323) 264-3940
Open 24 hrs

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you almost caught a case of the correct except when you said avocados and chunky tomatoes covered with secret mexican niceities are not up there with some of the most blessed foods to ever grace the streets of the concrete jungle we call los angeles.

king taco tacos are only above average. still, id take a king taco conversation over any starbucks or urban outfitter style coffee shop conversation. and, a $1 asada from king taco is about the best possible backup if you cant have one of the heavy hitters such as el taquito or el atacor. king taco wins the 6th man of the year award.

so fresh!

Jeni said...

Marsh...I'm sorry I don't love avocadoes like you do. I'm ready to be lynched by the rest of California now. Thanks for Ciro's and chillin at King Taco!

Terila said...

Another winner! I'm glad I came back.

This and the loft tour. Actually I'm in the market for a loft downtown and will contact the people you mention.

And your Ciro's photos make me long to go back there soon ... it's been over 10 years!

Teri in LA
terila

Jeni said...

Hey Teri in LA...
Ciro's is soo yummy! I love it! I'll be back there soon. Those flautas are beautiful aren't they???

The people at DCBID are holding a big Living in Downtown thang on March 25 & 26. You should check it out! http://www.downtownla.com/

Anonymous said...

A good friend of mine who grew up in the neighborhood of Ciro's, took me there for lunch today...I have never been to East LA/Boyle Heights and was amazed at all the mom and pop eatries that looked so inviting. Yes you would not know what is behind the iron bars at Ciro's, you walk into a colorful and lively restaurant with families and white & blue collar workers grabbing some lunch. Not knowing what to order I was craving
chorizo and eggs. I was served a huge platter along with homemade beans and rice. The avacado salad was to die for. My friend had the machaca which looked as good as mine. I cannot wait to go back and try more of the menu items. It was a nice change of pace to dine where there is so much culture and history in L.A. versus the yuppy California cuisine spots.
I highly recommend Ciro's for good food and a comfortable atmosphere.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin